Deep engagement and commitment to identity and mission by staff at every level is essential for the sustainability of the work and ministries of Catholic organisations. This is especially true of the Chief Executive Officer and senior leaders without whose commitment the mission of a Catholic organisation will not be the guiding force and chief influence in shaping the life, work and direction of an Agency.
It is important that encouragement is given, especially to senior leaders, to explore at greater depth the connections between leadership and spirituality; to delve deeper into theological reflections on the key social issues of the day; to become familiar with basic Church History, Catholic Social Teaching and an understanding of the scriptural underpinnings of the religious charisms which influence the many health, education and community services provided by the Church. The following are some of the opportunities available to facilitate a more profound engagement with identity and mission.
- Australian Catholic University & The Catholic Leadership Centre: The Graduate Diploma in Leadership currently offered by ACU will become a Masters in Leadership offered in partnership with the Catholic Leadership Centre in East Melbourne in 2015. There will still be an exit point for those desiring the Graduate Certificate rather than a Masters Degree. Click here for details.
For more information on the new Catholic Leadership Centre: www.ceomelb.catholic.edu.au
- Catholic Theological College (278 Victoria Parade East Melbourne): Diploma, degree and post graduate level courses in systematic theology, scripture, Christian spirituality, moral theology etc. Units include Catholic Social Teaching and Ethics and Healthcare.
- Yarra Theological Union (98 Albion Road Box Hill): Diploma, degree and post graduate courses as above (Catholic Theological College). Offers a social justice specialization, Dip.Soc.J. as well as courses in the history and development of Catholic Social thinking.
- Pilgrim Theological College(29 College Crescent Parkville): Diploma, degree and post graduate courses as above.
- Trinity College Theological School(Royal Parade Parkville): Diploma, degree and post graduate courses as above. www.trinity.unimelb.edu.au
- Campion Ignatian Spirituality Centre (99 Studley Park Road Kew) is offering two graduate spiritual leadership courses through Sentir: Graduate Certificate in Leadership, Spirituality and Organisation Practice, which focuses on development of spiritual leadership and organisational practice and Graduate Certificate in Supervision, which increases the pastoral and emotional awareness of growth in spirituality and theological reflection. Below are the flyers for each course and for further information.
Graduate Certificate In Leadership
Graduate Certificate in Supervision
Online and distance education Courses
- MCD University of Divinity (Trinity College, Royal Parade Parkville): Diploma, degree and postgraduate level courses available at Trinity but also online for diploma and undergraduate level degrees.
For enquiries about online courses, contact the Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Broken Bay Institute (Pennant Hills, N.S.W.): Specialising in online and distance learning, Broken Bay Insisute is affiliated with the University of Newcastle, N.S.W. and offers theology at undergraduate and post graduate levels online.
- University of Newcastle, N.S.W. The theology faculty works in partnership with the Broken Bay Institute, sharing resources (courses and lecturers etc.). Specialises in distance, self directed learning and offers most theology courses online. Offers a specialist course: ‘Advanced Studies in Leadership for Mission’, (http://gradschool.edu.au/courses/details/RELT6020 ).
- Accredited training in pastoral care and ageing
The much-loved Sydney course is now available in Melbourne. Certificate IV February 2015–June 2016 Diploma February 2015–June 2016. Suitable for people interested in pastoral care and ageing, pastoral carers from any faith background, those working or volunteering in faith communities, in the broader community and in aged care. Includes reflection on placement experience, in your workplace or as a volunteer. Click here for more information.