In a spirit of joy and celebration, a group of 28 pilgrims recently spent five days travelling through Tasmania to mark the commencement of the 75-year anniversary of the Missionary Sisters of Service (MSS). The pilgrims came from Queensland, Victoria, South Australia and Tasmania and included 13 MSS and 15 friends and colleagues.
The pilgrimage commenced in Launceston, at Calvary St Vincent’s Hospital, which is the site of the first ‘foundation house’ of the then Home Missionary Sisters Our Lady. In the chapel at St Vincent’s, MSS congregational leader Stancea Vichie lead a reflection that acknowledged the courage and foresight both of Fr John Wallis (the founder) and the four initial women who responded with a yes.
After visiting further places significant to the MSS story in Launceston, the bus took the pilgrims to Scottsdale and Derby, the first parish the early sisters visited on mission. Parish priest of Scottsdale, Fr Edwin Thundathil Xavier, celebrated Mass, which was followed by a generous lunch prepared by the small parish community. It was a time of warm reunion and much story telling and sharing.
Over the following days the pilgrim bus worked its way to Hobart via Longford, Oatlands and Richmond. Stories of the sisters’ early missions in each of these areas were read over the bus microphone so that the pilgrims could deepen their knowledge and understanding of the extensive work and impact contributed by the MSS in each of the areas.
In each place the people among whom the sisters had previously lived and worked welcomed pilgrims. After a brief ritual in the parish church, they were treated to a generous morning or afternoon tea, or lunch, lovingly prepared by the locals. According to Corrie van den Bosch MSS, “It was heart-warming to experience the love people retained for the sisters they had known over the years. Each place evoked treasured memories and stories of the years the Sisters worked there.”
The climax of the pilgrimage arrived on Sunday 25 November when the pilgrims journeyed to Alonnah, Bruny Island, joined by three more of the MSS (who live in Tasmania), along with another busload of pilgrims, and many others who travelled independently. More than 100 people gathered in the Alonnah community hall for lunch and an official welcome by Chris Smith, Chair of the John Wallis Foundation Hobart Branch. Following this, everyone gathered outside St Brendan’s church for the blessing and dedication of a memorial to Father John Wallis, the Founder of the Missionary Sisters of Service, and the women who came together in 1944 to begin what became the MSS community, and those who followed them into the highways and byways.
The memorial, situated in the grounds of St Brendan’s church, comprises two interpretative panels telling the story of the beginnings and development of the MSS. Between them is a sandstone feature with a silhouette of Fr John on his bicycle depicting the way in which he visited people on Bruny Island back in 1933. Bruny Island has particular significance to the MSS story given this is where the seed was sewn in Fr John, then a 23-yr-old country Victorian priest who was fresh out of the seminary. While visiting Catholic families on the remote island (on bike, foot and horse), he met a mother, Kit Hawkins who asked, “who is looking after the spiritual needs of our children – out of sight, out of mind”. Eleven years later, in 1944, a number of courageous, pioneering women took up the call from Fr John to “go out into the highways and byways of rural and remote Tasmania”, and later mainland Australia.
Throughout 2019 a number of events will be held to commemorate the 75-year anniversary of the MSS, including a special commemorative coffee-table cookbook with recipes and photos provided by the Sisters and friends.
Click here to read more and see many more photos.